Another Computer Update

Today was another computer setup kind of day; I moved my computer’s tower below my desk so the “fall-off-the-desk-and-get-smashed” risk was reduced. I also attempted to set up a network so I could print stuff without actually buying a printer.

 

At first I thought that setting up a network would be pretty straightforward, a couple of boxes to check, a couple to un-check, a few areas of my computer to explore, you know, basic stuff.

 

boy was I wrong.

 

Getting our three computers “network compatible” was pretty easy, and of course, the file sharing features came with that. But had no idea how hard it is to set up a network printer when the computer with the printer has XP and the computer trying to use the printer has Vista!

 

My problem wasn’t with establishing the network, as I said, that was easy. Basically, my Vista computer wasn’t being allowed to install the drivers for the network printer, which was plugged into Jonny’s computer. Every time I went to install the driver for the printer I got an error message that said “Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied”. So, I did what everyone does when they have a computer problem… I hit the internet.

 

Several forums, help sites, and temper tantrums later, I finally figured out that I was doing the logical thing and telling the computer that I wanted to set up a network printer. Turns out, with the Vista/XP clash of systems, I needed to tell my computer that I wanted to set up local printer. Local meaning it’s plugged my computer… even though I don’t have a printer plugged into my computer.

 

If all  this sounds really confusing, don’t feel bad, it is.

 

-Graydon :-)

 

PS I've gotten to know Windows Live Writer really well and I am really liking it. I highly recommend it. you can download it here.

0 comments:

Graydon's Fav Music Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Graydon's Fav Classical and Movie Soundtrack Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones