MRM – Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa

I just got back from the theater, here’s my take on Madagascar 2:

 

MRM – Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa

Madagscar 2Directed by: Eric Darnell, Tom McGrath

 

Written by: Etan Cohen

 

Starring cast: Ben Stiller (Alex the Lion), Chris Rock (Marty the Zebra, and other zebras), David Schwimmer (Melman the Giraffe), Jada Pinckett Smith (Gloria the Hippo)

 

Supporting cast: Sacha Baron Cohen (King Julian), Cedric the Entertainer (Mourice), Bernie Mac (Zuba), Alec Baldwin (Makunga)

 

What’s it rated?: PG for some mild crude humor ( I’d put it closer to PG-13 for gay and crude ‘humor’, sensual references)

 

Genre: Animated, Comedy

 

Synopsis: After taking off from Madagascar in a salvaged plane, Alex, Marty, Melman and Gloria crash-land on mainland Africa and experience what life is like in the true wild.

 

My Take: I don’t know about you, but I’m seeing a definite trend in animated movies; more and more crude humor. I could put up with a little, but the blatant and disgusting ‘jokes’ in Madagascar 2 made me cringe. Sure, there are other funny gags that are fine, but I just cant get past what they put in something labeled as a ‘family film’.

 

The animation is great, as usual, but as I said before, the crude humor is a definite turn-off for me. I also noticed something that I’ve never particularly noticed before in animated films before (aside from the obvious Ice Age); verbalized evolutionism. At one point, the leader of the penguins yells at a monkey, calling him a ‘higher mammal’ while one of the other penguins drops a screwdriver because he doesn’t have thumbs and shouts “curse you, Darwin!”.

 

Overall, It’s your typical sequel, and I wouldn’t recommend this to any family I know.

 

Story: kinda usual and bland so I give it 5 out of 10

 

Humor: (the clean stuff) 8 out of 10

 

Action/Suspense: 6 out of 10

 

Overall: 4 out of 10

 

-Graydon :-)

0 comments:

Graydon's Fav Music Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Graydon's Fav Classical and Movie Soundtrack Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones