MRM - Casablanca

Poster - Casablanca_02 Directed by: Michael Curtiz


Written by: Murray Burnett, Joan Alison

 

Starring Cast: Humphrey Bogart (Rick Blaine), Ingrid Bergman (Ilsa Lund)

 

Supporting Cast: Paul Henreid (Victor Laszlo), Claude Rains (Captain Renault)

 

What’s It Rated?: Rated PG for mild violence. (I’d add mushiness to that)

 

Genre: Romance, Adventure, War, Espionage

 

Synopsis: Rick Blaine is a saloon owner in Casablanca, a city in unoccupied French Morocco. His former love, Ilsa Lund, didn’t come with him to Casablanca when he left Paris the day before the Nazis marched in, and he is consumed by it. But when Ilsa shows up in Casablanca with her husband asking for Rick’s help to escape to America, It get’s worse and he is forced to make some hard decisions.

 

My Take: This review was on a recommendation from Sarah P.

 

Because Casablanca is more of a Romance than any other category, this film probably wont end up on my favorite movie list. However, I also like a good story, and Casablanca has that. The romantic elements aside, it’s a great film worth watching over and over; the characters are well developed, the supporting actors provide excellent high-class comic relief, and the plot twists and turns thrown in are all perfect touches.

 

But then, there’s the romance. If you like this genre of film I suppose you would enjoy Casablanca more than I would. As it stands I think it was over-done and annoying.

 

This may be a tad picky, but I’m not much of a Humphrey Bogart fan. He just looks too… Hollywood for my tastes. Plus he reminds me of John Travolta and the disco era :-P

 

Story: 8 out of 10

 

Humor: 8 out of 10

 

Suspense: 6 out of 10

 

Overall: 5 out of 10

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What, you don't like the romance genre? How about horror?

You phrased perfectly what I never liked about Humphrey Bogart. I could never put my finger on it.

Sophia

Graydon L said...

I haven't seen a lot of horror movies, but from what I have seen, I don't really like the genre. I prefer humor, documentary, war, and action movies the most.

Sarah said...

Thanks for following through with my suggestion. However, I am disappointed with your review--you are such a guy! I can't believe you think it is a romantic movie!! We discussed it in our home and my brothers and father think that the story and action outweigh the romance, making it an excellent film! I have no clue how Bogart reminds you of Travolta--please explain yourself....

Graydon L said...

Sorry! The action was cool and I did say there were some great lines, but the flashback to Paris really turned me off.

If you see a picture of Bogart next to Travolta, I think you'll see what I mean.

Besides, Bogart is a jerk in this movie.

SamuelY said...

Good review, Graydon.

Haven't seen Casablanca, not planning on it anytime soon...

Couple movie requests/suggestions for you:

I believe you have already seen 12 Angry Men (the old one), it would be fun to get your take on it.

One film that I haven't seen (but would like to) is Orson Well's Citizen Kane. The film really is a landmark in a lot of ways, and is definitely a classic. I dunno, might be good reviewing material...

Graydon L said...

Sorry, but I haven't seen 12 angry men yet. I've had a hold at the library for about a month now, and I'm getting kinda sick of waiting for it :-P

I think I'll try and find it on the internet or maybe try and rent it. If I can do either of these things, you can count on my review this Monday.

Graydon's Fav Music Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Graydon's Fav Classical and Movie Soundtrack Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones