A Little more 3D Modeling

Here’s some pics of a 3D model I made for Jonny a while ago. it’s a small wooden box with a special mechanism that makes it so you can’t open it unless you slide a secret panel sideways. He was going to make this out of wood and wanted to see if I could make it in my computer first just to see if it would work.

 

Box Closed

Here it is closed.

 

 

Box Open

Open.

 

 Box Open 2

Open, looking down into the mechanism.

 

 

Box Open 3

 

 Box Open 4

Closer in on the mechanism. I actually made that third panel from the front slightly transperant so things would be a little easier to understand.

 

 Box Transparent

Same deal here, except the almost the whole thing is transperent.

 

 Box Transparent 2 It’s a little confusing at first, but just concentrate and I think you’ll be able to figure out how it works.

 

 

Box Transparent 3 

Well, that’s it! I’m still getting used to my 3D modeling software, but I think I’m catching on pretty well! If you want to get started with 3D modeling, I highly recommend Google SketchUp. There are loads of touturial videos and also a gallery of completed models to check out and even change!

 

-Graydon

 

P.S. I’m compiling all my favorite HTML tricks for you, Sam. That way my last post will have a little competition as “Nerdiest Post of the Year”. Just kidding :-D

6 comments:

Sophia said...

A couple thoughts:

1) Did he ever make it?

2) I was right, you do have too much time on your hands...

3) You are either really good at 3D modeling, or you have a better program than I do!

Graydon L said...

No, Jonny never made the box, but he is making a different one that is going to be period correct for Fort. Nisqually!

Actually, I just use Google's Sketch Up program, which is free. I used to use a beta version of a program called Anim8tor, which allowed you to even create movement in your characters, but it was really advanced and a bit too difficult to use. You can download Sketch Up free from google.com

Do you do a lot of modeling? which program do you use?

J-Man said...

As a woodworker I can appreciate precision when it comes to boxes. We designed this box to be 5 inch long, and if you looked really hard at the mechanism of the box then you will realize that for that scale, the precision would have to be perfect, and I’m not just talking perfect I’m talking peeeerrrrrfffffeeeeccctttt!!!!!!! Really really really good. I’m not an amazing of a woodworker. An expert would be able to do it but not me. I was however looking at the possibility of doing it at a large scale where my imperfections wouldn’t be so easy to spot, say maybe two feet long and use a cheap wood like pine. It would be a fun project

Sophia said...

Graydon, I use Blender, but I don't really use it that much. I prefer to tweak photos and drawings uploaded to the computer using a photo editing program.
My brothers like 3d modeling a lot more than I do though. One uses Poser and Vue6 Easel, and the other uses Daz Studio, or something like that.

Sophia said...

Jonathan, are you ever returning to that project?

Graydon L said...

I've never heard of those, i'll have to look them up.

Graydon's Fav Music Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Graydon's Fav Classical and Movie Soundtrack Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones