The Coolest Rube Goldberg Machine EVER

Rube Goldberg was a guy who invented the very time-consuming hobby of creating machines that took a lot of work to build and a lot of time to run but which only accomplished small tasks. Nowadays they’re known as Rube Goldberg Machines and they’re quite prevalent on YouTube.


Here’s one I just uprooted off the net, enjoy!


 

I don’t know about you, but I think somebody needs more chores every morning.


Comments on how they got the chess pieces to move will be gladly accepted :-)


-Graydon


P.S. I just got a Comment from Jonathan that said that the video didn't work for him, if you are having the same issue, please comment and tell me. Here's a link to the video on YouTube: Best Rube Goldberg Ever

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Graydon
I could not access the video. It doesn't look like it is even there. Thought I would let you know.

Graydon L said...

Hmm, weird. I checked the vid out for myself and it looks just fine, but I've added a link to the post anyway.

I going to try re-embedding the video, if it works, could you post another comment?

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try and get it fixed!

SamuelY said...

Cool video, Graydon.

A couple thoughts:

The chess pieces could have been moved by magnets underneath the board, or by stop-motion photography, similar to, say, Wallace and Grommet.

This video was obviously shot over a period of time; I highly doubt that this entire contraption was all completely set up at any one time. Every time the camera 'clicks' to another shot you are looking at a something that could have happened days, weeks, or months later.

Just my $0.02,

Sam

Graydon L said...

I thought about the shot changes, and I do know It may not be all set up all at one time, but I didn't think that the chess pieces moved because of stop motion. The camera shows a spool of string spinning and then pans onto the chess board. So I was thinking mayabe string, or magnets. Besides, if they were using stop motion, how would they take a picture of the king falling over, when doing that means taking a picture of the black king in the process of falling over.

Anonymous said...

It works now! Thanks, Graydon.

I also had to wonder if it was all connected or as Sam says, shot in segments. The guy has a very sharp mind to map all of that out!
Thanks for sharing!

Graydon's Fav Music Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Graydon's Fav Classical and Movie Soundtrack Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones