Movie Review... um... Tuesday :-)

Sorry for not writing a movie review yesterday, It completely slipped my mind. But here is the review that was supposed to go up yesterday.

Judgement at Nuremberg (1961)

Directed by: Stanley Kramer

Written by: Abby Mann

Starring cast: Spencer Tracy (Chief Judge Dan Haywood), Marlene Dietrich (Mrs. Bertholt)

Supporting cast: Burt Lancaster (Dr. Ernst Janning), Richard Widmark (Col. Tad Lawson),
What's It rated?: Not Rated (I give it PG-13, for some language, Mature subject matter, some use of alcohol, traumatizing intense scenes, and graphic images concerning Nazi Concentration Camps)

Genre: Courtroom Drama

Synopsis: It has been three years since the most important Nazi leaders had already been tried. This trial is about 4 Judges who used their offices to conduct Nazi sterilization and cleansing policies. Retired American Judge, Judge Dan Haywood has a daunting task ahead of him. The Cold War is heating up and no one wants any more trials as Germany, and allied Governments, want to forget the past. But is that the right thing to do is the question that the tribunal must decide.

My Take: This is an amazing film about the reality of a higher authority than each individual nations laws, and I highly recommend it for anyone (who is allowed to watch PG-13 movies) who is studying law, world views, or government.

Story: 8 out of 10

Suspense: 9 out of 10

Humor: n/a

Overall: 8 out of 10

-Graydon L

5 comments:

SamuelY said...

"This is an amazing film about the reality of a higher authority than each individual nation's laws..."

Would you be so kind as to expound on this "reality"?

Thanks

(I suppose it's only fair to warn you that I have very strong opinions on this subject, and will therefore systematically crush any and all ideas you present that I don't agree with :-) )

Graydon L said...

Thanks for the Comment Sam, but I'm afraid I can't answer that now, we're getting ready to leave in 40 minutes. I'll answer your question later tonight.

-Graydon :-)

Graydon L said...

Ok, I'm Back!

Basically, although the chief judge never actually says it, he believes that God's Laws (the ten commandments etc.) are greater than every individual nation's laws, and even though Hitler's Germany made many laws, which was fine (making laws I mean), the laws did not abide by God's Laws. Thusly the enforcing of these laws by the German judges was wrong and they should be found guilty.

I hope that explains it, Sam!

-Graydon :-)

SamuelY said...

Thanks Graydon,
I agree with you 100%. When you started talking about a higher authority than an individual nation's laws I thought that you were talking about more of an international authority like the UN having authority over an individual nation.

Which, in my humble opinion, is not cool.

Graydon L said...

Sorry for the unclarity :-)

-Graydon :-)

P.S. I agree with you 100%: I don't think international authority, like the UN, is good either.

Graydon's Fav Music Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Graydon's Fav Classical and Movie Soundtrack Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones