Highlight #112

Hey y'all, Finally I've gotten to view, and now review, a recommendation. This film was originally created in 1939, and then remade in 1956. I've heard that the first edition was no good, and so I set out to review the second version.

As requested by Sam Y:

The Man Who Knew Too Much

Year: 1956

Starring Cast: James Stuart (Dr. Benjamin McKenna), Doris Day (Mrs. Josephine McKenna)

Supporting Cast: Brenda De Banzie (Lucy Drayton), Bernard Miles (Edward Drayton), Christopher Olsen (Henry "Hank" McKenna), Daniel GĂ©lin (Luis Bernard), Ralph Truman (Inspector Buchanan)

Directed By: Alfred Hitchcock

Written By: John Michael Hayes, Charles Bennet

What's It Rated?: PG for Violence and Suspense

Synopsis: Dr. and Mrs. McKenna are on a vacation in Morocco and are thoroughly enjoying themselves until a Dieing man tells secret information to Mr. McKenna. in order to keep him quite, their Son Hank is kidnapped. Soon after the abduction, Dr. and Mrs. McKenna set out to find Hank on their own in London with only a single clue to go on: the words the dieing man told them.

My Take: Although this is a good movie, there are several scenes that drag on longer than they should, and I think that a little more character development could have been used on the Draytons. Overall, It's very good movie, although the suspense and "knife scene" make it one film I wouldn't show to younger audiences. The story unwraps surprisingly well, and the humor weaved into strategic places throughout the film are an oasis from the heat of suspense. Like I said, it's a Good film but the knife scene could have been toned down a bit, but other than that, worth watching again and again.

Be prepared for a lot of drama, as the master of suspense, Alfred Hitchcock, unveils a true classic.
Story: 7 out of 10

Suspense: 10 out of 10

Humor: 7 out of 10

Overall: 9 out of 10

Thanks for recommending a great movie, Sam!

-Graydon L

P.S. If you would like to request that I review a film, just tell me the title, and either the year, directors name, or several of the actor's names, and I'll be happy to look into it! Thanks!

6 comments:

SamuelY said...

Good review, Graydon. It's fun getting different people's take on different movies that you have enjoyed.

Graydon L said...

No problemo, Sam. I'm looking into Father Goose, I might posibly review that one in the next few weeks.

-Graydon

P.S. are you going to Queen Victoria's Birthday on Saturday at Ft. Nisqually?

Kilted Fiddler said...

Graydon,

We watched "The Man Who Knew Too Much" starring Peter Lorre made back in something like 1934. It was extremely vague and hard to follow. There was absoloutely no character development whatsoever. As a result, I am definitely interested in watching the one starring James Stewart!

Graydon L said...

You should watch it, it's very good. Definetly one of James Stuarts better roles as an actor.

-Graydon :-)

SamuelY said...

Hi Graydon,
Yes, Cassie and I will be at the Fort this Saturday. I'm personally planning on attending the Woodworkers Guild meeting at 9:30, are you? I'd be happy to give you and Jonny a ride if you need one.

See you then,
Sam

Graydon L said...

I'm not so sure, but Jonny wants to go the woodworkers guild, which means we probably will be there at 9:30.

As for a ride, We'll be fine, But thanks anyway.

I'll see you on Saturday!

-Graydon :-)

Graydon's Fav Music Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Graydon's Fav Classical and Movie Soundtrack Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones